Wednesday, August 08, 2007

More on Abide With Me

I should have written out my thoughts before I called you all, but I wanted to share a few more points I had on the book:

* It seemed to me that Lauren, the pastor's wife, might have been bi-polar, or something similar to that. You'd think marrying a pastor, she knew what kind of lifestyle she was getting herself into, yet it always seemed she resented being forced into that life and hated everything about it. She never once made an effort to support his work or get involved in the community. I know near the end of her life, the medicine made her a little crazy, but it even seemed like she had a hot/cold attitude all throughout her marriage to Tyler.

* Also, for some reason, I thought that maybe the author was writing in both the past & present tense & that Charlie was actually having the affair with Lauren. (Maybe even before Lauren met Tyler & moved to the small town ??) It seemed to fit her personality that she would be aggressive & seductive. She also lived in Boston, as Charlie's mistress did. Anyway, I was thinking it was a stretch, but it almost seemed like the author might have been leaning that way when she was describing how Lauren was losing her affection for Tyler. (Of course, that wouldn't have fit the timeline, now that I think about it...) Anyway, I remember thinking at the time I was reading it that it wouldn't surprise me if the author somehow tied it in that Charlie was actually having the affair with Lauren.

* Did anyone else picture Doris Austin as this old, prude of a lady? I think when they first described her as the organist, I imagined her being elderly. And, the way she talked about & to Tyler made me think that also. Then, when I read about her young kids, I was quite surprised.

Anyway, that's all I can remember right now. Just wanted to see what you guys thought...

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Interesting thoughts. I never thought about Lauren being the affair girl - not sure if the author was trying to imply that or not. You have a detective's mind don't you? :) Thanks for your input. We miss you!

Unknown said...

good thoughts amberly- i did picture doris as old. i never thought the guy was having an affair with lauren though, but interesting.
sure isn't the same without you there!