Monday, February 22, 2021

The Book of Longings

Author: Sue Monk Kidd

One-sentence summary:  The author imagines the life of Jesus’s wife and what kind of woman she could have been and how being married changes our view of Jesus and his ministry.

B.A.D. Girls Book Rating:  7

Our favorite thing about it: This was a fascinating idea and fun to imagine.

Our least favorite thing about it:  The book lagged a bit in the middle.

Main Topics of Discussion: Silencing women, longing, calling, relationships, Judas

Our favorite quote: “Lord our God, hear my prayer, the prayer of my heart. Bless the largeness inside me, no matter how I fear it. Bless my reed pens and my inks. Bless the words I write. May they be beautiful in your sight. May they be visible to eyes not yet born. When I am dust, sing these words over my bones: she was a voice.”

Notes:  We all really liked this book. It was such an interesting concept and we enjoyed reading about it. The idea that Jesus even had a wife, and that she might have been boundary-pushing, was great. It also humanized Jesus just a bit for us for him to have a wife and gave insight into what leaving his family was really like when he went off to do ministry. Probably the most interesting part for some of us was the speculation about Judas and why he might have betrayed Jesus. This also humanized Judas for us. Overall, we enjoyed the story although things lagged a bit in the middle of the story.

Memorable Meeting Moments: This meeting took place at Lindsay’s house right after the great freeze of February 2021! Rachel had just discovered a leak in her house 10 minutes before leaving for the meeting. But we all came out of the weather phenomenon pretty unscathed.

What We Ate:  MOD Pizza






No comments: