Tuesday, December 25, 2007

One Down...

two more to go to catch up with you ladies!

I just finished The Wednesday Letters. Literally just finished it, so I thought I would write out my initial observations. I would probably give this book a rating of 8 because of how it kept my interest and kept me wanting to read more. It was a great fiction story, but did leave a lot of unanswered questions. It always bothers me when there are stories left untold or unanswered, whether in movies or books. I agree that I would have enjoyed more in-depth character descriptions. I also wanted to know what Rain wrote Malcolm in her letter. How could he have never opened it while in Brazil? I don't understand that. And, did he ever open it after they married? He doesn't make it seem like it, but who knows?

Also, I suspected that Uncle Joe was going to end up being Malcolm's real father. Don't know why. They just seemed to focus so much on his alcoholic past & his jail time. I thought I had it all figured out. Maybe that's what the author was trying to do. But, then I started doubting when Aunt Allyson was treating him so nicely after his arrival at the B&B. Then, at the funeral, I thought he was going to get up on the stage & confess it all. Once again, I was wrong. But, it did bother me that he used the funeral to somehow ask forgiveness from the family & all those attending. I just didn't think that was the right venue to do something like that. But, again, maybe it's the perfect venue ?? Don't know why that bothered me. I guess I would be irritated if one of my extended relatives stood at my parent's funeral and started apologizing for their life choices.

After the fact, I found it very, very unbelievable that Jack Cooper would actually forgive Pastor Doug enough to assist him in finding a new job close to his family. I have never been put in that position to show enough forgiveness & mercy to a person & just find it so hard to believe. I'm not sure I could ever be that kind to someone that violated a member of my family. I understand the forgiveness part, but I have a hard time comprehending going above & beyond that. Of course, that shows a huge weakness in my level of faith, I'm sure. Thank God I have not been put in that position.

However, I did really enjoy the book. It was short, simple & heartwarming. It was a great story to read on Christmas day.

Now, on to The Book Thief...

No comments: