Friday, July 04, 2008

The Book Club Companion: Post #1

Let's start off with just a list from the book. This is a list of "10 Indispensible Titles" from the category, Beloved Books (apparently she does not list them in any particular order):

Gilead by Marilynne Robinson

I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

Ladder of Years by Anne Tyler

A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest J. Gaines

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

My Antonia by Willa Cather

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

And at the end of every post from this book, I will include a nugget from the author, which may be random, ridiculous or actually relevant. You decide which...

Maps for Everyone: Don’t scurry around at the last minute looking for an atlas. Have one right in front of you or make sure everyone has access to copies of the Region in Question. Even a map you might consider obvious, such as the position of West Egg and East Egg in many editions of The Great Gatsby, should be copied and distributed. A visual prompt is never wrong. (19)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'd like to read Gilead. I've heard that is a good book.

Unknown said...

I HAVE read My Antonia and don't know what the fuss is about. I would never list that as a must-read. It's not terrible, but it isn't great either. Pretty average I thought.

Unknown said...

I want to read Gilead too. I have borrowed it from my dad. And I believe that I read My Antonia in 7th grade and don't remember one thing about it. Maybe I need to read it again...or maybe not.

Dara said...

I have not read Gilead either... maybe we could make it a book club pick???